Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Don't Outstay Your Welcome

Like the worst kind of house guest, Tony Blair has decided that his great reception yesterday means that he can stay a little longer. The BBC is reporting claims from Alan Johnson that Blair could be around until next summer. Is this real or is this just designed to get under Gordon's skin?

I found some good advice here about politely getting rid of people who do stay a bit longer than you'd like. Here are some great phrases that senior colleagues could use with Blair:
  • ‘‘What’s for dinner?’ Hahahahahaha. Oh, you crack me up. Though, it is getting late. It was great seeing you again. I’ll just get your things.’
  • ‘Oh! Look at the time. We promised John’s mother [best friend, minister, piano teacher] we’d stop by for coffee this evening. I’ll just get your things.’
  • ‘Goodness, we’ve kept you long enough. We have cleaning up to do, and I have a lot of work to get to this evening. Oh, no! Please don’t worry about helping! It was such a pleasure to see you. I’ll just get your things.’

No comments: