Saturday, October 21, 2006

Falling Short

So, Clare Short decided to resign the Labour whip yesterday. Here is her 2005 general election campaign leaflet. I notice that there is no mention of electoral reform. However, she does ask people to "vote for me so that we can work together to build on the good things and correct the mistakes." What a difference 18 months can make.

In Short's letter, that you can read in full here, she argues that "after a lifetime of service to the Labour Party and 23 years in the House of Commons I think I am entitled to discuss what has gone wrong with the government and our political system in my remaining years as an MP." I heartily disagree. I am no fan of our political system and the way in which the party whip is abused, but Clare should have thought about this in 2005. Her electorate voted for her based, at least in part, on the leaflet above and the official Labour manifesto. If she wanted to stand on her own platform then she should have run as an "Independent Labour" candidate. She didn't because she knew she'd lose.

Her resignation of the Labour whip is the last publicity stunt of a tired and shameless politician. The electorate in her constituency should be calling for her resignation and a by-election. If she truly believes she is supported by the people who voted for her then she'll be happy to oblige.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

she is a seriously annoying woman and I hope that she doesn't get any media work on the back of this

Bel said...

Thank you for visiting my blog. I have just read your post and agree with every word. I would have expected that she should have stood down, so that a by election could be called, and then she can stand as an independent. However, politicians have shown us that they utterly lack such principle (remember Shawn Woodward).

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why anyone is talking about this pathetic creature. Let's hope she disappears quietly.

Panthercat said...

My understanding is she resigned because she was devastated at not being picked as a Labour "hottie"--and it's wonder--she's a downright fix, she is. I know I'd quite fancy a shag.

Praguetory said...

The electorate in her constituency will be calling for nothing of the sort. A large majority don't vote and even though the Birmingham IRA bombings happened in her constituency she got away with saying that the IRA never targetted civilians and remained in seat. As a Tory, I hope she continues to attack Labour and stands as an independent next time. The left-wing vote being split amongst Short, Labour, Libs and Respect is the only way we (The Tories) have a chance.