Friday, October 06, 2006

It's A Small World After All

My apologies for not posting over the last 24 hours. I'm actually in Marrakech for a friend's wedding. For those of you that haven't been to Morocco before, I highly recommend coming here. My ryad (hotel) is wonderful and you should check it out if you ever decide to visit. The website is here.

If you can believe it, I shared a hotel taxi with a lady who had just spent the last week at the Conservative Party Conference. She's over here for the next five days relaxing at a yoga retreat and looked like she needed it. Clearly Bournemouth had taken it out of her.

On the way into town I took the opportunity to grill her on her impressions of the previous week. I suppose what surprised me most was the zeal with which she repeated back the Conservative party slogan of the week - "social responsibility". It was harder to get her to explain exactly what it means. She's very much a Cameroon and had swallowed the new Tory language hook, line and sinker.

She was a little annoyed with the mainstream coverage of Cameron's speech and thought that some of the journalists had over-egged the commentary. In particular, she thought that one journalist's description of a "sharp intake of breath" when Cameron talked about gay marriage was simply wrong. She didn't disagree with the fact that there was distinctly less applause at that point in the speech.

She is one of the new generation of Tories and looks like she's signed up to the new agenda. It feels a lot like New Labour in 1994 and the cult of personality around David Cameron is growing stronger by the day.

1 comment:

Rick said...

Was she in any way attractive ? I mean Oswald Mosley did say "Vote Labour, Sleep Tory"............