Sunday, January 21, 2007

Heaven And Earth Is The BBC At Its Worst

I got back from my trip to New Zealand yesterday and although I was away for just three weeks I feel like I've been away for months. My body clock is in turmoil, but I'm hoping to get it back in the right time zone over the next couple of days.

Normally I'm tucked up asleep in bed at 10:35am on Sundays but due to the trip I've been up since 6am. Imagine how excited I was to discover Gloria Hunniford's BBC programme "Heaven and Earth". It's a bit of a grab bag of a show, featuring celebrity interviews, debates on hot religious topics and news style reporting. The phrases "low brow" and "dumbing down" would be a kind way to describe a show that looks at some of the greatest philosophical questions in a truly facile and pointless manner.

Today's show featured the top guest line-up of David Blunkett and Englebert Humperdinck. However, it wasn't their searing religious insights that got me fired up enough to write a blog entry, it was their ridiculous segment on the teaching of intelligent design in British schools. The main focus of the segment was Dr Alastair Noble, an "expert" in intelligent design and a scientist who wanted to see it taught in science lessons. I wanted to find out more about this chap as there aren't many credible scientists that support ID. What I found with a quick Google search came as no surprise. He is not an expert on this topic and actually works as the Scottish Education Officer for the Christian charity CARE (Christian Action Research and Education). You can see a little bit more about him here. This was not ever pointed out on the programme and is either classic BBC sloppiness or something a little more dangerous. Interestingly, that small description of him points out that he has also worked for the BBC. This lack of information on his background left viewers with the sense that he was coming from a purely scientific perspective, rather than a Christian one. I don't have a problem with a range of views, but we should definitely ensure that we know who is talking and why.

Suffice to say I will not be watching this crappy programme again. Good to see our TV tax being spent on low quality sunday morning rubbish.

No comments: