Monday, January 15, 2007

TV Predictions 2007

I am still in New Zealand, but heading back this week. Before I reconnect fully with the UK political landscape, I thought I might fill you in on two of my favourite television shows that are currently running in the US.

The first is 'Friday Night Lights' an amazing show based on the movie released in 2004 and the 1990 book by Bissinger. Ostensibly it is about a football team in a small Texas town, but for anyone wise enough to track it down, it is much, much more. It really showcases American TV at its best - terrific acting, great writing and superb cinematography. I have been glued to it all season and although I haven't seen anything about it being picked up in the UK, I urge you to hunt it out. It has had great reviews from critics although the US public hasn't quite warmed to it in the same way. I just hope they get into it soon and ensure that more episodes are made.

The second is 'Heroes'. I don't feel quite as well placed to comment on this one having only seen the first episode, but it is off to a great start. The premise is that there are a group of people brought together by newly found special powers. It is very similar to X-Men, but is done incredibly well and is focused on normal people rather than a breed of mutants. I think it is being picked up by the Sci-Fi channel in the UK and I will be tuning in regularly. It really deserves a wider reach and could end up being bigger than Lost. It was the most talked about US series on the internet last year.

Both of these programmes are from NBC and represent really exciting investments by this US TV channel. If only we had a true market based media in the UK...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The entire first series of Heroes can be viewed here (http://www.freetvlinks.net/Heroes.htm) for free!
And it is excellent! Enjoy.

Disillusioned and Bored said...

Thanks for the link.